As soon as you hit the age of 50, you are going to start hearing jokes about the senior discount you can now get at Denny’s. All jokes aside, reaching a particular age really does have some advantages, such as being able to apply for AARP membership.
AARP membership is $16 a year, which is not that much. The benefits you will receive are far greater than the membership price you will pay. We looked in to AARP’s advantages and its worth to understand the advantages.
Insurance rates vary by age, location, driving record and a lot of different factors. You might get a good deal through AARP’s plan, but you might get a much better deal with a different insurance company. It’s worth requesting a free quote from AARP and other insurance companies to compare.
To compare insurance premiums, I used a base model: coverage for a 50-year-old Texas woman without any accidents on her record and drives a 2010 Honda Civic. I received these three quotes:
- Allstate — $215 a month.
- AARP Auto Insurance Program — $100 a month.
- Geico — $59.80 per month.
AARP might now always win when getting insurance quotes; however, they are always competitive. Most of the time they are the cheapest.
Travel deals are another advantage of AARP membership.
- Automobile Rentals: Members get a discount from a number of rental car companies, as well as a 30% discount on Zipcar memberships.
- Hotels: Your membership will get you around 20% off at several hotel chains, like Days Inn and Wyndham Hotels and Resorts. In Addition, you can enjoy 35% off from Endless Vacation Rentals.
- Traveling: You will get access to the AARP Travel Center Powered by Expedia, which posts members-only flight deals. Plus you will receive a discount at Park Ride Fly USA for off-airport parking.
- Cruises: The AARP Travel Center offers discounts on select cruises from companies like the Norwegian Cruise Line, Windstar and Grand European Travel.
Some other discounts you can enjoy as an AARP member are:
- A free donut with the purchase of any large or extra-large beverage at Dunkin’ Donuts.
- 10% off at McCormick & Schmick’s.
- 5%off programs and 30 % off accessories at Consumer Cellular.
- Your spouse will receive free membership
- Single individuals can enjoy the AARP’s dating site
- Complimentary AARP Magazine
You can read the complete list of discounts by checking the AARP Member Benefits Guide.
With all of these amazing ways to enjoy AARP, you can easily earn back the $16 membership fee that you pay yearly.